Friday, March 26, 2010

Another Painting today

New work up today:
Pasquotank River, N.C.

I drove by this scene frequently for years, until one evening I happened to have a camera, some time, and the right light. I have no idea what the purpose was of the little shack. Fishing? There was an awful lot of junk and rotted dock around it. It was off the end of an old pier, and the pilings in the background are of the sort used to tie off big ships, although the river itself is shallow.

An interesting discussion started today on LinkedIn, by artist William Zuback who asked, "What do you think of changing the original intent of your art for a client? See more at http://tinyurl.com/wmzubackblog."
I wouldn't change an original, but I would offer a commissioned work that met the client's needs.
One responder commented that art becomes not-art, but craft when the wishes of another drive the creative process. I'm not so sure that I'd go to the wall over the issue of whether an artist must work with absolutely pure independence and integrity for that work to be pure art. What about some of the great collaborative works. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment